Protestant chaplaincy at the Centre Pénitentiare de Perpignan
At the start of 2010, our church took on responsibility for the protestant chaplaincy of the Perpignan Penitentiary Centre. Pastor Robert Héris is the chaplain and he is assisted by Daniele Cabanat and Jean-Claude Caux - they gave more than 250 individual visits in 2010. Since the 1st December 2010 services have been celebrated at the main prison, and services started at the remand section in January 2011. For these two services, Jean-Claude Caux, assists by accompanying the singing on the guitar, and taking messages to the prisoners.
In these encounters they deal with condemned men and women, who have need of the Word of God, of deliverance, and of salvation, and they make it clear that this is what they are bringing them. But they are also materially poor, and in need of simple humanitarian aid. Some are truly destitute, lacking clothes or stamps, or the means to buy food. But through the work of the protestant chaplaincy, these prisoners can be rescued.
How can we help them ?
· When you buy stamps, you could think about getting an extra book for us to offer to a prisoner. The same thing goes for envelopes.
· When we make special appeals for clothes, you can respond by bringing the items we ask for, in a good state of repair.
· We can put aside any financial gifts for the specific purchase of necessary items, or to help the poorest individuals directly. Our chaplaincy is part of the Poverty Commission at the Centre Pénitentiaire.
· During holiday periods (Christmas, New Year, Easter), we can provide cards for the prisoners to send to their friends and family.
· And of course, we are called to pray regularly for the Administration, the chaplaincy, the guards, as well as for all the prisoners.
Prayer and action together produce results ! Thank you !
Robert Héris : 06.30.32.15.50 - Danièle Cabanat : 06.61.58.09.71